Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DIY

Few days ago I wanted to make some additions on my wardrobe door to create an efficient arrangement to hold papers , reminders etc . Managed to get a hook. After which I realized the need for some cord to create the arrangement I had envisaged . A search revealed that there was none at home. Normally for me when inspiration strikes I want to translate into action asap. Made an alternative arrangement that currently serves the purpose.

This episode made me reflect on various products . Increasingly we find (as urban residents ) that a high and growing percentage of our needs are fulfilled by products purchased off the shelf. or services outsourced. There's less and less of DIY in a whole range of needs. Furniture , clothing , home accessories , stationery(this merits a post by itself ), packaging , gifts . The last bastion is perhaps food which too is being targeted for ready made options.

DIY/creating solutions are like a muscle . Needs to be exercised regularly. The satisfaction and joy of having created something can't be replicated by a purchased product. From a business perspective - products that have some degree of DIY built into it can engage the customer way more than a completely plug n play product *
. e.g a piece of clothing that is versatile , a home decor product that can create varying looks depending on what it is combined with. From an environment perspective DIY would be kinder on the earth . You're likely to use a product you emotionally connect with longer and with more joy - hopefully resulting in less use and dispose.

* DIY is a definite no-no in certain products . I'd be hopping mad if any electronic item I purchase has a DIY element :)







No comments: